Sunday, October 4, 2009

Chapter 9: When Things Go Wrong

Giving students motivation to do well in class was the main focus of chapter nine. When students don't feel comfortable in class, they won't answer questions. So they won't learn. Some students would rather sit in the back of the class and just blend in so as to not be noticed by the teacher or even their peers. Under the subtitle "When Students Feel Discouraged", the co-authors thought that having the ability to assess their teachers performance is an important part of the learning process for teacher. The teacher can then take this critique and change some things they may to to better the classroom.
I think the reason this part of the chapter stuck out to me is because I agree with the part discussing students ability to "grade" their teacher. When I get to fill out my teacher evaluation I think about how important it is for both me and the teacher. I can influence how that professor will teach and that helps out future students. We are only helping ourselves as teachers by letting our students tell us what we do right and what we do wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment