Saturday, October 3, 2009

Chapter 5: Teaching to the Individual, Working with the Group

An interesting part of chapter five came under the heading "different levels in one class". It's important for teachers to understand that it's crucial to create a positive learning community amongst your students. Having a discussion about a certain topic is more advantageous and comfortable to students then asking multiple questions with shorts answers. "Kids learn more when teachers ask open-ended questions" (Fires page 91). Giving all students equal opportunities to take part in class discussion is equally important.
I chose this section of chapter six because it is something that has been talked about at length in Beth Evans' classes. The topic of tracking and how to encourage class discussion has been a big focus. I liked seeing how the book said to handle students struggling with questions. Saying things like "Can anyone help him/her" or things that get other students involved and keep the teacher as just a moderator are things that I have been trying to do in my class this semester in practicum. It's reassuring to me to see that the book and I are on the same page in this aspect of running a classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment