Saturday, October 3, 2009

Chapter 4: Creating a Culture of Success

The section of chapter 4 that jumped out at me was "other pressures students feel". Teachers, friends, family, and society around them as a whole effects their schooling. Many students have the aptitude to do well in school, but because of what their reputation among their peers may be, they might not try their hardest. "I know a person that missed the last five question on the SAT just so she wouldn't get a perfect score"(Fires page 73).
The part of the chapter jumped out at me because I think it is very true. I remember being friends with some really smart kids, but they were also kind of known trouble makers. Their reputation had control over their grades. They were pressured to not do as well because of how being smart would look to their peers. It's really important for students to feel comfortable in a class setting and making learning something fun so everyone takes part.

No comments:

Post a Comment