Saturday, October 3, 2009

Chapter 6: Motivation and Boredom

This chapter was one that discussed why students need school. It also discussed what teachers can do to motivate them to learn. Under the heading "passionate teachers", the co-authors discuss how the passion they see in a teacher is what motivates them to want to learn as well. " If they have passion for teaching kids, it's much easier for them to teach, period. I don't think most teachers have a passion, and you can tell if they do" (Fires page 104). Also, students lose motivation to learn if the teacher is apathetic and unenthusiastic about what they're teaching.
I believe this part of the chapter jumped out at me because I could easily relate to what the co-authors were saying about their experiences. I have had the teachers who really care about their subject and even though I might not love the subject, he/she makes me want to learn. It's all about their enthusiasm and knowledge of the subject. I have also had the apathetic teachers described in chapter six, and because of their lack of interest, I don't believe I got everything I should have out of the class. A teachers attitude makes a huge difference in how their students learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment