- Student/Teacher relationships: My favorite teacher is one whom meets all the criteria listed under this category in the learning model. Mr. Dufour was my freshman year history teacher, and was fun, respectful, and had a great sense of humor. He had a great attitude and though he expected a lot from his students, he made learning enjoyable.
- Helping Students Succeed: My sophomore year high school science teacher did not do much to help her students succeed. She often talked at us, giving us all the information we needed without having us do any of the work. She would ask questions, call on someone and if the slightest hesitation was noticed, would give the answer. She challenged very few minds in the class, giving us, her students, low confidence in our knowledge of science.
- Hands-On: This past summer I took a summer-term Geology class with Dr. Gibson. The class was very much hands-on, as we spent the majority of our class time out in the field studying and analyzing. I learn better as a hands-on learner myself, so this was beneficial to me. Going out into the field and doing my work there led to me being a more productive student in the classroom as well.
- Learning Styles: Last year I took an introduction French class. I believe that for any language being taught, a professor can fairly easily use styles for multiple intelligences to engage all students. We watched videos, did written work, had oral exams, and commonly spoke in French with other classmates. This is a perfect way to reach out to students who learn better in any of the multiple intelligences.
- Autonomy: I was fortunate enough to have been enrolled in an engineering program while attending Lewiston High School. This involved a lot of independent work and decision making. I did a lot of my own learning in this class, all part of the hands-on experience I find most helpful. I designed and created many things, and won a couple of awards along the way, showing the knowledge I gained while in the class.
Monday, September 7, 2009
My MEL experiences
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment